Do I need blue light-blocking glasses?
Blue light filtering is recommended for individuals who spend 6 or more hours per day in front of a screen or look at a smartphone more than 20 times a day.
Eyeglasses are a convenient blue light filtering option because they continually block blue light as you switch between your computer, smartphone & other digital devices.
In addition to trying blue light glasses, there are several ways to reduce the harmful effects of prolonged screen time:
- 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes gaze at something 20 feet away for about 20 seconds.
- Position yourself so you’re at least 25 inches away from your computer monitor, looking at a slight downward angle
- Increase screen contrast, or adjust light levels in the room
- Add a screen filter to your computer monitor, or set your smartphone to night mode
- Take regular breaks to rest your eyes
- Alternate wearing contact lenses glasses when you can
- Avoid flat-screen TVs and digital devices before bed
Children are also vulnerable to digital eye strain and related problems like poor posture. Blue light glasses for kids are available at Wisconsin Vision with prescription or non-prescription lenses.